Imaginary Gardens

   I have started a series of small paintings I am calling Imaginary Gardens. It started as a fluke. I was working on a painting and decided to clean the excess paint off of my brushes onto a smaller canvas. As I continued working on the larger painting, first one, then two, then three smaller canvases were covered in random brush strokes of paint which began to take form and create images. Now this was a new venture for me, well maybe not so new.
   When I began painting over  50 years ago I was so fired up and enthusiastic I would grab any flat surface and begin painting. Any image that came to me, fields, skies, houses etc. I would just start painting. It was sheer joy to move the brush and paints across the surface watching colors blend and shapes take form. And that is what is happening again with this series. I feel as though I am 16 again totally enchanted with oil paints and exploring their unknown possibilities!
6" x 6" oil on canvas
8" x 8" oil on canvas

6" x 6" oil on canvas

8" x 10" oil on canvas