Crossing The Bridge...

Years ago when I was exploring how spirituality and creativity intersect I read a quote from Matthew Fox which went something like this, "The bridge between chaos and peace is creativity..."
I love this quote and am finding it comforting as I progress on this painting adventure. Facing the chaos of the smears and streaks of my brush cleanings onto cradled boards can be daunting and with much turning and seeking some sense as to top or bottom becomes clear. Taking a piece of white chalk I begin to outline random areas of shapes all the while questioning, "What shape is this? Tree? Flower? Grass?" And, sometimes slowly while other times with mind spinning quickness, "AHA!" the layout of the painting comes into focus and for a moment all is peaceful. The chaos seems tamed, manageable soon to be locked into place with painted white lines...but as with all living things, chaos always lurks... lines get painted over...shapes altered, deleted or added...the painting grows and expands...chaos...creativity...peace...
Iris Wishes (WIP)16"x20" Oil on Cradled Board / Photo by Ernie Viskupic
For Comments or information:www.mawinklea@gmail.com